Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Day 1 - 4/22/19 (Earth Day): Home to Iowa City, IA (Kat Janz)

Normally I charge Sherlock (Ohms) to about 85%, which saves on long-term battery life.  Today, and throughout this trip, I'm charging to 100%!  This morning, after last night's charge, I left the garage with 238 miles on the Guess O'Meter, which will henceforth be known as the "GOM."

At 8:17am, it was a warm and sunny 62 deg F, with prevailing winds out of the south at 7-10 mph.  These winds would pick up speed over the day, which can be problematic for an electric car... headed south.  Knowing that, I limited my speed on the highways to between 55 and 62mph.

This leg of my trip ended up to be 247 miles to the charging station located about 20 miles from Kat's house.  I had one supplemental charge (free) at Hotel Julian in Dubuque, which added about 50 miles to my charge.  I ended the day with about 25 miles left on the GOM... so, the supplemental charge in Dubuque was all I needed!  Note that I didn't use the air or heater during this leg.
- total estimated miles on GOM from the start + supplemental charge = 288; 288-247 = 41 theoretical left, and I was actually at 25.  So, the wind against me took 21 miles out of my expected mileage. Pretty good!

When I stopped in Dubuque, I parked behind Hotel Julian for the ChargePoint charge.  I took my small notebook, and headed across the bridge toward the river.  Walked along the river, admiring the sculptures.. water is VERY high!  Dubuque has some interesting buildings... one of which is where they made lead shot ("Shot Tower"), which is on the national historic landmark list.  It served as a firewatch tower for a number of years, until (ironically) the building itself had a fire. 
Shot Tower
Unfortunately, the Star Brewery was closed on Mondays... locally famous for where part of Sylvester Stallone's movie "Fist" was filmed.
Star Brewery

After my local tour, I walked back across the bridge to a local pub, and had a half-pint of a local ale before heading back to my car and leaving for the second leg of the day.  Many gorgeous wall murals on this side of the river!  

I had originally planned to stop in Cedar Rapids, for another charge, however didn't need it after my 2-hr charge in Dubuque.  I was able to head directly to Iowa City, where I had prearranged a stop at Billion Auto dealership's (Chevy dealer) Chargepoint charger.  Glad I got there before closing time, as they had to move a gas vehicle for me, so I could reach the charger.  Kathy Janz drove over to pick me up.

As the rain was holding off, we went for a lovely walk around a lake... then headed off to Kat's favorite dumpling place for takeout.  We ended up having a couple of beers, dumplings, and good conversations that are reserved for long-time friends like us.  Unfortunately, Nancy was not able to join us... we went for a walk with their dogs around the prairie, enjoying the wildflowers that are coming into their glory.  Their house is beautiful, and in a beautiful setting, as you can see from the picture as we ended our walk coming up to the house from the "pond side."Ended the evening with he guitar and a few songs before retiring to the studio apartment that attaches to their garage.  I feel so privileged!!  Slept like a log!  Tuesday, I'm off to Missouri!
The Guest Studio





No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 13: Ames to Home

After a gourmet breakfast at the Diesslin's, Bill gave me a tour of the EHS building and other sites around campus.  Bill played an inte...