Monday, May 6, 2019

Day 12: 5/3/19 Norfolk, NE to Ames, IA

I stayed with my cousin Connie overnight, and the next morning we headed to Perkins for breakfast, then out for a walk around a local lake.  After we got our morning exercise, I took off heading east.  This particular morning, the wind was from the south... 10-15 mph, so not too bad.

My first stop was in Jefferson, IA (182 miles from the start), where I planned to get a booster charge at the HyVee store.  I plugged in, had some lunch, and then headed out to explore the local area.  This is the part I love about this thing I've begun to dub "slow travel."  The need for speed is GONE, and one is definitely limited by the distance one can travel, and sometimes have limited options for places to charge.  If possible, stopping in small towns and exploring the area on foot has proven to be one of the most enjoyable things about this trip.

On my way into Jefferson, I saw a sign indicating "Jefferson Gardens" ahead.  Making my way on foot toward downtown, I suddenly heard bells... following those bells, I came upon the town Carillon Tower, located in the town square.  The carillon officially opened to the public for the summer on May 4, so I was a little early.  However, upon checking the door... it was open, and inside were two docents (in training) who were more than happy to share their knowledge about the town and the carillon:
  • Only one of four carillons in Iowa
  • Town was named after Thomas Jefferson, admired by the founding fathers
    • Name was quickly changed to "New Jefferson" after they learned there already was a Jefferson in eastern Iowa (this happened quite frequently when towns were being newly established); after the "first Jefferson" dissolved, the name was available again, and claimed.  
Looking up at the stained glass window 
in the rotunda ceiling
Replica of wooden plow, parts of it made
of walnut trees from Monticello


























I was encouraged to walk through the nextdoor County Courthouse, which indeed was beautiful.  Crossing the town square, I spied the Thomas Jefferson garden,



so I made a beeline over there.  A docent came out of the building to tell me all about the gardens, and provide an impromptu tour.  The docent also directed me to "Sally's Alley," a remake of a previously unattractive alley into a walking tour of bird pictures.



After an hour or so, I got back on the road toward Ames.  I found a wall charger fairly close to my friend Bill Diesslin's house, and plugged in there.  I enjoyed a lovely evening with Bill and his wife Brenda... had a lovely supper and we went for a several mile walk around a local lake.  Also got to get a ride in Bill's mid-life crisis car, an Alfa Romeo he purchased from a friend.  I never knew he was a "gearhead" and could fix anything until now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 13: Ames to Home

After a gourmet breakfast at the Diesslin's, Bill gave me a tour of the EHS building and other sites around campus.  Bill played an inte...