Saturday, May 4, 2019

Day 11: 5/2/19 North Platte to Norfolk, NE

I had anticipated one more night's stay in my trip to Norfolk, but I think I can get there tonight... due to the charger locations along the way.  I verified my trip plans with Connie and Joe (cousins in Norfolk), and my buddy Bill that I'm seeing in Ames, IA.  Originally had planned to be at Bill's on Saturday, but now will arrive on Friday.


I'm looking forward to seeing my Aunt Leona (mom's sis).


 

After 100 miles, I stopped in Kearney, at the City Hall for a little boost, and took a little walking tour of downtown.  First thing first, I went to Kitt's Coffee Shop for an espresso and worked on my blog.  Then, I headed downtown, and found the Museum of Nebraska Art... free (or donation) to look around.  A good display of student artwork, and an exhibit of sandhill and whooping crane art that made it a good stop!


The outdoor sculpture garden had a sculpture that "called me" over to it... a young gal skying above a boy with a basketball in her hand.  Now, that's a good image!!


From Kearney, I headed to a fast charger in Grand Island... near the freeway.  After hooking up, I realized the charger wasn't working.  All of the card swipers were inoperable.  I called Customer Service, and they tried to reset the units a couple of times, unsuccessfully, and then gave me a complimentary charge (worth $18).  I took some time to do a little birdwatching along a nearby river, before departing.

  

From here, I drove about 50 miles to Columbus, for a quick boost, and a chance to catch a bite to eat and stretch my legs.  This 220 charger had a rate of $0.25/hr, with a $1 minimum.  Soon, I was on my way to Norfolk.

Connie picked me up at an RV campground on the outskirts of Norfolk, where I had permission to plug in overnight.  Unfortunately, the charger interrupted itself a couple of times.  After the second time, we moved to the Convention Center's RV plug, where the car happily charged the rest of the evening.  Thank you Connie, for your patience and shuttling me around.  The charging interruption has never happened before, but I've since learned that some RV parks don't have appropriate wiring for the 50-amp outlet, and that can cause the car to stop charging.






Connie got some of my cousins together for supper, so it was nice to see everyone.  After that, we went over to The Meadows, and did a little singing and visiting with Aunt Leona. 

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca, it's been fun to read about your travels and visits with friends and family. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder Barb has "charger anxiety!" Yikes...quite a day. Good luck on the last leg of your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Day 13: Ames to Home

After a gourmet breakfast at the Diesslin's, Bill gave me a tour of the EHS building and other sites around campus.  Bill played an inte...