Thursday, April 25, 2019

Day 3 - 4/24/19 Sturgeon, MO (Marybeth and Eileen's)

After a good sleep at Marybeth and Eileen's place, MB and I left for town to move the car and do some hiking.  I unplugged and moved Sherlock to the Home Depot parking lot, changed into my hiking shoes, grabbed my poles, and we were off to explore the bluffs and river area (Gans Creek Wild Area) outside of Columbia, MO.  We had both of their pups along, so they got a little exercise too.


We hiked about 5.7 miles or so, sometimes crossing the creek, other times high on the river bluffs looking out over the crowns of the trees and river below.  MB pointed out this metal rim from an old wagon wheel... an old wagon had been discarded a LONG time ago, and a tree grew up in the middle of one of the wheels.  All that's left now is the metal rim.  


It was beautiful... leaves weren't completely out yet on many of the trees, so easy to see quite a distance.  The red buds were in bloom too!  Saw two box turtles along the way, but no morels (yes, I was looking!).  Due to the recent rains, it was pretty muddy, as evidenced by our filthy pants at the end of the hike.



When we finished, we went to 44 Stars for a local Porter beer and pub lunch.  It was kind of dark in there, so I don't think anyone noticed my dirty pants or the mud that was likely coming from my hiking boots (ugh!).  When we finished up there, we drove to a bird sanctuary not far away.  Had some good sightings there... an eagle on her next fairly close to the road, ducks like shovelers, the ubiquitous mallard, coots, teals, grebes; various shorebirds, and egrets and herons.  Nice!!!

Since it was getting to be about 4pm or so, we headed back to pick up my car, and then home to clean up before going over to some friends of MB and Eileen for dinner.  Michelle, Rose, and their three dogs. I provided a short bit of entertainment with my guitar after dinner too.  I'm starting to get my fingers calloused again!


When I hit the hay this night, I was tired!  Felt good to climb into bed after such a fun day with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 13: Ames to Home

After a gourmet breakfast at the Diesslin's, Bill gave me a tour of the EHS building and other sites around campus.  Bill played an inte...