Sunday, April 28, 2019

Day 6: 4/27/19 Lincoln to Kearney (Cousin Pam's)

This day started out great, with a good breakfast, followed by picking up the car at the Nissan dealer.  The wind had started to pick up when we left Uncle Rollie's, but by the time I got on the road about 9, I think it could have flipped a semi over if it was cross ways to the wind.  You guessed it, wind directly out of the west!!  Right where I was heading!

This wind, up to 50 mph, really affects battery performance... even though I was only going about 57-60 mph.  Speed Limit is 75 on I-80, so I did stay in the right lane.....  Not safe to draft behind semi's, so I just plodded along, and headed to Aurora, NE, where there was a charger by a museum.  Much to my delight, the museum was a great find, and I spent about an hour exploring the Plainsman Museum... the museum creates an old "town" on the inside perimeter of the building, and had lots of antiques (but not as many as my sis Donna had) in the various "buildings."  Similar to a movie set.









This is an old cheese slicer


After grabbing my charge there, I headed to Kearney (again, I could have made it without the supplemental charge, but not by much).  When I got to the charging station I thought I would use, the entire parking lot was blocked off for an event... it is Saturday, after all.  Since there were three options for charging in Kearney, I headed for the trusty HyVee store, and all six charging stations were available.  Pam met me here, and we went out for a quick supper and then back to her house on the lake.

We walked around the lake to stretch our legs when we got back to her house, and continued our "cousin conversations" that we always easily pick up.  One of the highlights of the day for me was seeing an osprey dive in the lake for a fish, right outside Pam's picture window.  I thought initially it was an eagle, until we did some more looking at it closer up when it came back a few minutes later and hovered above the lake quite a bit... amazing bird to watch.  It was unsuccessful in its hunt... at least what we could see, but that's only the second time I've seen an osprey dive.  Pretty cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 13: Ames to Home

After a gourmet breakfast at the Diesslin's, Bill gave me a tour of the EHS building and other sites around campus.  Bill played an inte...